About Me






Hello,  my name is Farrah Williams. I have always enjoyed helping students thrive. I have volunteered in many programs such as the Boys and Girls Club, and Girls Inc. I have also worked for tutoring programs to help students in grades K-12 in reading and in math. What I have consistently got asked was, “Could you be my teacher?” I always admire how hard teachers worked and being a substitute teacher for over a year I knew this was not a 9-5 job. I took on the challenge to become a teacher and am proud to be on this journey teaching middle school students in the Fresno area. It is an honor and a pleasure to be on board and meet many educators who help students succeed in learning.

Based on my personality test I am an ENTJ and have a pretty good balance of being active and sequential with a balance of sensing and visual. This is not surprising to me, as I love to have visuals and colors in notes to help students learn. I am very energic when I teach and really love to teach math. My idea of teaching math is to have math seem as easy and stress-free as possible. Most middle school students already have in mind “math is boring” I would like to change their perception by allowing math to come alive in many ways that are engaging, and fun.  

My teaching style is students centered, where I am a guide to help them on the journey of mathematics. I like to think of my classroom as a community of collaborative learners where we are all learning and helping one another.  By a 70/30 model, students have many opportunities to talk about math within their group and as a whole class.  With students being the main focus, I use activating prior knowledge to build on students understanding and informal assessments to help guide instruction. Using non- volunteers through a randomizer (popsicles sticks), learning becomes exciting with a live audience.


I use lots of visuals, manipulatives, cloze notes, group discussions, and project-based learning to help all students learn. Having multiple ways for students to learn, helps meet all students learning needs. In addition, integrating technology helps provide students many ways to learn and understand the content. Technology programs such as Big Ideas, Google Classroom, Khan Academy, GeoGebra, Demos, Quizzes’, Quizlet and the Remind App are an extension to the classroom to help provide opportunities to help strengthen students mathematical thinking. 

In my spare time, I enjoy family, friends, and baking. I can bake and cook just about anything. My specialties are cinnamon rolls, (which I make around winter time :}), croissants, and Italian spaghetti. 


Comments

Popular Posts